As of right now, I realized that I have been in 36 out of the 50 states in the US. I didn't plan it or strive to hit so many, it just happened. Now, I have a goal to hit all 50 (I know, such a typical bucket list item). But, with my husband working for the airlines, it isn't that much of a difficult thing to do.
Every weekend throughout the summer we like to take a road trip, either for the day or for an overnighter. Last week I had commented that I had never been to Kentucky. Not an astounding goal by any means, but it was just something I wanted to do. So, after I got off work on Friday we packed our bags and hit the road!
Once we got back I decided to take one of those silly little online quizzes to see how many states I have visited. Wow! Looks like I need to hit those southeastern states a bit more! I was contemplating making a list of my top ten favorites and top ten least favorites, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone. So, I'm going to just stick to my top ten favorite states! Here you go!
10. Pennsylvania (It has been close to twenty years since I have been there, but I loved it! So gorgeous!)
9. Louisiana (New Orleans. Enough said.)
8. Illinois (I know, it's my home state and has a lot to offer besides Chicago and should be higher on the list, but there are other places that I love more. And I'm going to get kicked out of the state when you see number 5.)
7. South Dakota (It's where my mom lives on a beautiful farm. It's my peaceful place.)
6. Michigan (I drive there all the time and am heading up to Coopersville yet again next week!)
5. Wisconsin (I know, it's blasphemy coming from a Chicagoan, but I love Wisconsin. It's a beautiful state.)
4. Texas (I LOVE Texas and would live there in a heartbeat. Plus, all of my author friends live there!)
3. Massachusetts (Boston - one of my favorite cities in the world.)
2. Maine (I LOVED Maine, particularly Bar Harbor and Arcadia National Park. I can easily go there again and again!)
1. California (There's no denying it. I'm a San Diego girl and will always keep a piece of SoCal in my heart. Within a 30 minute drive you can be in the mountains, the ocean, or the desert.)
Have you visited all 50 or are you getting close? Which ones are your favorites?